The right hardware for Hackintosh
Here are some useful information when buying a laptop or building a Hackintosh, or probably been asking yourself “Is my PC fully support or what ?”. The GPU is considered the most important part of the Hackintosh ( if it can’t work you can’t see the screen or the animation’s laggy as hell ).
All CPUs starting from Intel Core 2 Duo up to now (Haswell) is supported, except for Pentium Haswell, it’s reported as not compatible with Mavericks. Be careful when buying these CPUs.
Most AMD CPUs are supported thanks to the modded kernel allowing AMD CPUs to run OS X, more info can be found here. Note that Intel Pentium D and some unsupported Intel CPU can use this AMD kernel as well.
Integrated GPU (iGPU)
With Mavericks, these iGPUs are native support:
- Intel HD Graphics on 1st Generation Intel Core i Processor (Arrandale, need some kexts modding )
- Intel HD 3000 on 2nd Generation Intel Core i Processor ( Sandy Bridge )
- Intel HD 4000 on 3rd Generation Intel Core i Processor ( Ivy Bridge )
- Intel HD 4400 (laptop only) /4600/5000/Iris on 4th Generation Intel Core i Processor ( Haswell )
|Right HW for Hackmac|
These iGPUs are not supported by OS X Mavericks:
- Intel MHD4500/X3100 and earlier
- Intel HD Graphics on 2nd Generation Intel Pentium/Celeron and later
- Intel HD 2000
- Intel HD 2500 (Rarely works)
- Intel HD 4400 Desktop (Rarely works)
Please note that laptops with AMD Switchable Graphics or nVidia Optimus with both Intel HD + AMD/nVidia card will only be able to use Intel HD, unless you have the option to turn off Intel HD in BIOS.
These GPUs are supported (the list may be incompleted or not correct at some points, please inform me about the GPU that works for you but not on the list or the one not works):
- nVidia 7000 Series
- nVidia 8000 Series
- nVidia 9000 Series
- nVidia GT 200 Series
- nVidia GT 400 Series
- nVidia GT 500 Series
- nVidia GT 600 Series
- nVidia GT 700 Series ( stay away from the GTX 750 and GTX 750Ti which use the new Maxwell architecture which hasn’t been confirmed working or not )
- nVidia GTX Titan ( the Z version hasn’t been tested yet )
- nVidia Quadro 4000
- nVidia GT 520M, 540M and 630M ( laptop with discrete GPUs )
- nVidia GTX 675M, 760M, 765M, 770M
- nVidia NVS 5200M
- nVidia Quadro 1000M, 2000M
- AMD 4000 Series
- AMD 5000 Series
- AMD 6600, 6700, 6800 Series
- AMD 7750, 7770, 7870, 7950, 7970
- AMD R7-200 R9-200 Series ( supported on OS X 10.10)
- AMD 4650M, 5470M, 7650M
AMD 6400 Series
AMD 6500 Series
AMD 6900 Series
Note that laptops that use CPU ES (Engineering Sample) or use Samsung panel can’t enable QE/CI.
The minimum requirements for Mavericks is 2Gb of RAM, 4GB is enough to run things smoothly. If you want to run virtual machines or multiple softwares, 8GB of RAM or more is recommended.
Most audio codecs as of now is supported through VoodooHDA, but the sound can be not so nice comparing to Windows. We can patch AppleHDA to overcome VoodooHDA’s weakness (need advance techniques). Most of codecs that can be patched, except some stubborn chipset.
If you need high quality audio, it's best to buy a Mac-compatible DAC or soundcard.
Most ethernet chips are supported except for these:
Realtek 8169 (Random kernel panic)
Ethernet Killer (Only the Atheros Killer E2200 is usable)
A pain for laptop users is that most built-in wireless cards aren’t supported. You can always find and replace your unsupported one.
Here is the list of supported and unsupported card ( Yellow means work with WifiInjector kext, Green means work OOB, red means unsupported, HMB cards are cards also have Bluetooth )
Or you can use a wifi dongle which is supported by OS X, but it also has downsides like battery draining, weak signal or causing sleep issues.weak signal or causing sleep issues.